Inspired by The Rebel Chick, I developed a seething urge to create my own chicken salad. I went to my favorite fruit-n-veg place yesterday and loaded up on supplies, then worked feverishly into the night (I’m in Florida and it’s June; “feverish” is what everybody is right now).
Here’s my “recipe,” bearing in mind that I hate measuring stuff so I make everything pretty much “to taste”:
- 1 pound chicken breast
- some dillweed
- some fruity jam
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- some dried cranberries
- some walnut pieces
- some small red seedless grapes
- 1 Fuji apple, chopped
- several tablespoons of mayonnaise
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Smear a little vegetable oil in your favorite glass baking dish and plop your chicken breast in it.
- Sprinkle liberally with dillweed, and then spread jam over the whole thing. (I used Amish Wedding brand “tropical jam,” but whatever fruity jam floats your boat should do nicely.)
- Bake uncovered for about an hour or until done, turning occasionally. The jam will melt and baste the chicken in a most delicious way.
- Cube or shred the chicken and place in bowl with all the other ingredients. Add a few tablespoonfuls of the melted jam & dillweed mixture and mix it all up, adding more of any particular ingredient to your taste.
- Make sammich.
Okay, so it may not fit your definition of EXTREEM, but it’s one heck of a chicken salad if I do say so myself.